15 January 2007

From the Mailbag

Hi Keith,

I'm writing to request a copy of Andrew Tardiff's essay "Simplifying the Case for Vegetarianism."

If you'll indulge me I would like to compliment you on your blog. It is at the top of my list of "daily reads." I'm happy Mylan has become a regular contributor too. I've been an ethical vegan for 12 years; for me it was a straightforward transition. Once I put two and two together and realized where my food came from and the moral inconsistency of it all there was no turning back. My only question was, what the heck was I thinking before this realization? I have recently decided my veganism, in and of itself, was not enough. I must advocate on behalf of the animals in other ways. Animal Ethics helps me formalize my position so I can be a more effective advocate. I'm sure your blog helps many people contemplating vegetarianism/veganism. However, it plays a different role for people like me. The best way for me to explain it is with an analogy. You see, many (not all) great athletes make very poor coaches. The reason for this is their talents come naturally to them. They really don't know how to teach this to others. Now I am not implying any greatness on my part. However, I am saying that the transition to veganism was completely natural and took little or no pondering on my part once I knew the truth about animal exploitation. My temptation when dealing with others was to simply say, "hey look this is what modern factory farming is all about," and voila people would make the change. Well, as I am sure you know, it does not work that way. Many people need more coaching to help them along the way. Animal Ethics has helped me become a better coach. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
greg

No comments: