16 April 2006

From the Mailbag

Dear friends and former sponsors!

Five years ago each of you sponsored me in the "Trails for TAILS" bike-a-thon, all of the proceeds of which went to the TAILS Humane Society. At that time, TAILS had a dream: that of building a state-of-the-art NO KILL animal shelter. Today, thanks to your support and the support of others like you, that dream is a reality! Please check out the shelter and all of the impressive work it is doing.

Naturally, it takes money to run a shelter of this caliber, and so, once again, I turn to you for your possible support. On Saturday, April 22, I will be cycling 55 miles in the sixth annual "Trails for TAILS" bike-a-thon, all of the proceeds of which will again be donated to TAILS Humane Society. Five years ago, thanks to your help, I was able to raise $900 for TAILS. I hope to be able to raise that much again this year. Of course, to do so, I need sponsors to pledge their support. Pledges may take the form of a flat donation or a per-mile pledge. I would be extremely grateful, if any of you were willing to sponsor me 10 cents, 25 cents, 50 cents, or even $1.00 a mile (or anything in between) in this year's bike-a-thon. If you do sponsor me, your donation to TAILS Humane Society is fully tax deductible [Surely that sounds good on April 16!!!]. If you are willing to sponsor me, please drop me a short reply and let me know the amount per mile (or flat donation) that you are pledging. After I complete the ride, I will email you back with the number of miles completed [hopefully 55!], and you can send me a check made out to TAILS Humane Society for the amount that you pledged. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

My best to all of you!

Mylan Engel

Note from KBJ: Mylan and I were graduate students together at The University of Arizona. He's a good person. If you'd like to make a pledge, please click on his name immediately above this note and use the e-mail address at the bottom of his website. That way, I don't add to the amount of spam he receives. In case you're wondering, I have pledged 50¢ per mile. Go Mylan!

Second note from KBJ: Mylan writes: "Dear Keith, Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, and thanks! Thanks for posting my letter on your animal ethics blog, and thanks for the nice things you said about me there. I really appreciate it. [Thanks too for figuring out how to link to me without having to post my email address on your blog. I'm grateful not to have the additional spam!] Thanks very much for the 50 cent per mile pledge! And thanks for continuing to call attention to my 'The Immorality of Eating Meat'! I hope it gets some of your readers to rethink their eating habits. All the best, Mylan"

No comments: